Almeley is in the west of the county, about 18 miles (29 km) north-west of Hereford, 13 miles (21 km) south-west of Leominster and 7 miles (11 km) from the border with Wales.
Much of the present village is built around a triangle of roads, with the Parish Church to the south, and on the edge of the built area. Going east from the church is Almeley Primary School. The village hall is at the eastern point of the triangle. Northwards (from the church) are a public house and a post office. At one of the road junctions by the church are the war memorial and a small sculpture depicting Almeley Parish.
Of historical interest are the Oldcastle (on the north-west side of the village) and Almeley Castle just south of the church. A brook, offering a reliable water supply, runs past both castles.
United Kingdom census data show that the population of Almeley has fallen overall by about 30% from 1801 to 1971 (from 753 to 521) but the ratio of males to females has remained at 1:1 over the same period. As a rural parish, it is not surprising that its population density has remained low (at about 1 person per five acres) from 1850 to 1950. During this 100-year period the national average rose from approximately 2 people per 4 acres (16,000 m2) to about 5 people per 4 acres (16,000 m2). It is home to a large number of farmers. One in particular travels on the bus to and from Hereford on Wednesdays to see the market.
Its agriculture is largely based around sheep, pasture and cider orchards.
It received the award of “Best Kept Herefordshire Village” in 1990, and is often visited by tourists exploring the “Black and White Village Trail”.