Campaigning for a better deal for Rural Councils

The Government is looking at reforming the Funding of Councils from just Council Tax and Business rates..

The Rural Sparse Network and have  long argued that the Government’s approach to funding rural areas is unfair and has historically put rural Local Authorities at a disadvantage due to receiving significantly lower government grant.

Rural local authorities received 45% less government grant per head of population in the current financial year (2017/18) than their urban counterparts – this gap in funding is due to grow even wider under the current four year finance settlement; indeed it is becoming a chasm.

Moreover, in 2017/18 Council Tax is on average £87 per head of population higher in rural areas compared to urban areas – that gap too will grow over the period to 1920/21 under current can not be right that homes that are worth more than a million pounds in central London pay less council tax than someone in my ward in a three bedroom modest residence.

Rural areas have a higher percentage of older people resident in their areas, often living in social isolation, which increases demands on services. The brunt of this burden falls on Adult Social Care Services the funding of which is acknowledged to be in crisis. We have more miles of highways and higher costs to deliver services due to the distances that have to be covered.

Roads Update

The consultation on the western route Hereford Bypass was completed last month and  the project has been championed by the Cabinet Member Philip Price at a National Infrastructure event and the Midlands Engine ( regional economic strategy). There is considerable local opposition but the majority of the county support the proposal recognising our future without it will be very much poorer.

Jesse Norman has been made Minister of Roads so he will have first hand understanding of rural highways and potholes and the need for our bypass.

Locally the highway through Eardisley is due for extensive works at the end of August.

Please report any problems on highways or footpaths using the links below or phone 01432261800.

if you wish to make a claim as a result of damage to your vehicle please use

Nutrient Management Plan – NMP

The Board for the NMP met on 5th June 17 where the partnering organisations gave an update from their perspective of progress in reducing Phosphates in our water courses in the Rivers Wye and Lugg catchments.

All participating partners confirm an improving position in phosphate levels with significant work in the pipeline for further improvements.

There are still spikes in the levels recorded on certain testing days, but overall average is declining slowly. It is considered that much has to be done over the border in Powys to help improve our rivers as much of the catchment is in Wales.

If you want to discuss a planning matter please

if you have a planning enforcement concern

Fly tipping in parish council areas – briefing update

Fly tipping is an illegal activity. Anyone caught fly tipping can be given a maximum penalty of £50,000 fine and/or 5 years imprisonment. The removal and disposal of fly tips is the responsibility of the person who owns the land and Herefordshire Council can give advice on how best to dispose of fly tips. If a fly tip is seen the following action should take place:

If you spot someone fly-tipping

  • Make a note of any vehicle used, including model, colour and registration number. If it is safe to do so without being seen, take a photograph or video of the activity
  • Note the fly tippers’ clothes, and distinguishing features. If you can hear the fly tippers, take note of anything which was said along with the speakers’ accents
  • Make a note of what they dumped, the location, weather conditions and how far away you were at the time.
  • Use Herefordshire Council’s online form to report it:

If you see a fly tip and have not seen the person who has put it there

Fly tipped waste must be collected and disposed of in accordance with the law therefore it is always best to report fly tips to the council so that they can advise accordingly on the correct disposal of the waste. Please note that Herefordshire Council are only responsible for the clearance of waste from public land.

Anyone carrying waste which does not belong to them must be a registered waste carrier and hold a licence to do this. They must also have a legal arrangement in place to dispose of the waste they have collected which in most cases will have to be paid for as commercial waste.

Herefordshire Council Household Recycling Centres can not be used by lengthsman or parish councils to dispose of any waste, these facilities are for householders only to dispose of waste generated by them at the own domestic premises. If they have any waste for disposal, Lengthsman and parish councils should contact BBLP to ensure the correct method of disposal.

Local litter picks – what should happen with the waste?

·         BBLP can arrange to collect your litter, so it doesn’t go into household bins.

·         To get a litter pick pack or arrange a collection of litter picked waste, call 01432 261800. Please give as much notice as you can of the litter pick so that BBLP have plenty of time to organise the collection.

All litter and fly tips should be reported to BBLP to ensure that the correct duty of care is followed for the collection and disposal of this waste.